Thomas & Friends is a British children's television programme created by Britt Allcroft. It is based on The Railway Series of books by the Reverend Wilbert Awdry. It first aired on British television in 1984, and since then over 500 episodes and various special feature-length films have been produced. The North America (US) airing of Thomas & Friends was modified to make it more suitable for children.
North American Censorship
When Thomas the Tank Engine first arrived for American audiences under Shining Time Station, there were many changes:
- Sir Topham Hatt is never reffered as "The Fat Controller", because fat is a very offensive word, This also happens in the Latin Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs.
- For the Same reason, in Thomas and the Gurad/Conductor, Thomas line "You're too fat, you need exercise!" was changed to "You're too slow, you need exercise!", and in Gordon takes a tumble, Henry shouting "Hello, Fat face!" was changed to "Hello, Lazybones!".
- The Season 3 episode "Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure" changed the title to "Thomas and Percy's Mountain Adventure" because when that episode aired on Shining Time Station episode "Billy's Party" the episode was about to be celebrated at Thanksgiving instead of Christmas, And the date was November instead of December.
- Every times Sir Topham Hatt punishes he's engines to stay were they crashed or being naughty, The US dub rechanges the lines to be more friendly:
- Like in The Sad Story of Henry (Come out, Henry), He's line "We shall take away your rails, and leave you here for always and always and always" was changed to "We shall take away your rails, and leave you here until you are ready to come out of the tunnel".
- Many instances of "Christmas" were changed to a more politically correct substitute, "winter holidays", although this has not been consistent.
The Series 19 episode Henry Spots Trouble was taken out of rotation by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation due to complaints from parents that it unintentionally carries an anti-vaccination message. The episode still airs in other Australian television channels and is available on video or for streaming in the country.
Where to find it uncensored
The British English version (which airs in the UK, India, and Australia) of all episodes is uncensored.