Indonesia is a Southeast Asian country whose majority practices Islam.
Communist propaganda and symbols is strictly forbidden in Indonesia. Sharia law applies in Aceh.
Anything that is religiously prejudicial is also forbidden.
Due to the Indonesian government being conservative since the 2000s and 2010s, sites with potentially NSFW content (nudity and pornography) are banned.
- Tumblr - banned in early 2018, but later unbanned after Tumblr bans NSFW content
- FanFiction.Net - deemed to be "abusive".
- Newgrounds - banned since 2010 due to the total freedom and lack of filtering of offensive and NSFW content
- Netflix - was initially banned on Telkom for carrying alleged family-unfriendly shows, different censorship standards, shows that promote what the Indonesian government deems as "unhealthy lifestyle" (that is, LGBT or pedophilia). However, the ban on Netflix has been lifted since 7 July 2020, as confirmed by the Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos.
- Reddit - banned since 2016 due to several NSFW, misinformation and malicious content.
- Fight Of Gods - This game was banned for religious reasons. Steam made the game inaccessible and unsearcheable, complying with the local game ministry, before blocking the entire site.
- Mortal Kombat 11 - This game was banned, although not publicly, for gory violent content and Communist references (referring to the Russian costume DLC). However, the previous Mortal Kombat games and the mobile game are not banned.
- Balibo - This film is banned due to depicting Indonesian soldiers killing Australian journalists during the 1975 invasion of East Timor, which contradicts with the Indonesian government's version of the story, stating that the journalists died in a crossfire.
- Fifty Shades of Grey- This film is banned due to its sexual content.
- Merdeka 17805 - This film is banned for depicting the Japanese as being superior and for apparently disrespectful usage of Indonesia Raya, the national anthem of Indonesia.
- Noah - This film is banned for contradicting Islamic teachings, according to which, Noah is considered one of the important prophets of Allah.
- The Year of Living Dangerously - This film was banned for dramatizing the fall of President Sukarno, the rise of President Suharto and the Communist coup which set it in motion in 1965. The ban was lifted after the resignation of Suharto.
Main article: Southeast Asia TV censorship
- WWE - both Smackdown and RAW were banned from public access television in 2006, after numerous cases of injuries and a few deaths caused by children emulating the moves of the wrestlers, including any WWE licensed video game and merchandise. Circa 4 years later, it was informally unbanned, but then, no public access television was interested on it anymore.
- Doraemon (2005 anime) - an episode had a scene where Gian and Suneo watch wrestling with 3D glasses cut by RCTI for the reasons stated above.
- This article is a stub. Please help the Censorship Wiki by expanding it.